Soil investigation for Blast Furnace, Coke Oven and Pellet Plant under Phase-II at Tata Steel, Kalinganagar Unit.
Tata Steel Limited, Odisha
Kalinganagar, Odisha, India
SERVICE CATEGORYGeotechnical Engineering, Laboratory Testing,
Inventory & Conditions, Geophysical Study SectorIndustrial Plant
Expansion for 8 million tons per annum (MTPA) capacity of Tata Steel’s Kalinganagar plant with a project Cost of 23,500 Cr.
Tata Steel was proposed to set up a 8 Mtpa capacity Integrated Steel Plant in the Jajpur district of Orissa, north west of Bhubaneswar, about 110 km away by road.
The nearest railway station is J. K. Road on the Howrah – Chennai main rail link. The plant was proposed to set up in two phases, where 1st phase construction of the plant was nearly completed and for starting second phase a comprehensive geotechnical investigation was required to perform by the TATA Steel Limited. The total project work was conducted in three site locations viz. Blast Furnace, Coke Oven, Pellet Plant.
The primary objective of this sub-surface exploration is to determine the characteristics of existing geo-materials, like soil, rock in the zone of influence of the proposed plant units in such a way as to establish the design parameters which influence the choice and design details of the various structural elements, especially the foundation type of the plant units.
The tasks that are performed during the project work are as follows:
- Engineering properties of soil and rock.
- Location and extent of weak layers and cavities, if any, below the founding strata.
- Sub-surface geological conditions such as, type of rock, structure of rock, i.e., folds faults, fissures, shear zone, fractures, joints, dykes and subsidence due to mining or presence of cavities.
- Ground water table
- Artesian conditions, if any
- Quality of water in contact with foundations
- Safe bearing capacity of foundation stratum
- Probable settlement and probable differential settlement of foundation