Traffic survey & analysis for Construction of Traffic Dispersal System along Kona Expressway
IIT Kharagpur / RITES
Kona, West Bengal.
SERVICE CATEGORYTraffic Survey SectorHighway Engineering
Government of West Bengal through West Bengal Highway Development Corporation Ltd initiated a project to prepare a comprehensive concept plan for developing a smooth traffic dispersal system for Kona Expressway.
The part of NH 117 from Vidyasagar Setu approach to NH-6 junction commonly known as Kona Expressway is a story of never ending traffic jam and chaos throughout the day. Government of West Bengal through West Bengal Highway Development Corporation Ltd initiated a project to prepare a comprehensive concept plan for developing a smooth traffic dispersal system for Kona Expressway.
Considering substantial traffic demand, physical bottlenecks, constraints, mix of NH and local traffic, a four-lane elevated corridor have been proposed for Kona Expressway during the feasibility study. The Main objective is to give Traffic Survey and Analysis Traffic Safety Consultation, Urban Transport Modeling and Traffic Management plans.
The at-grade 4-lane road and existing ROB/RUB will be used to cater to the demand of local traffic using various segments of the Kona Expressway. Now the RITES limited has been given the responsibility of preparing the DPR for this proposed improvement and IIT Kharagpur has been given the responsibility by the RITES limited to carry out various traffic studies and provide necessary inputs regarding forecasting of traffic on proposed elevated corridor segments.
Project Scope or Services
The study had been divided into two parts – (i) Base Year Travel Demand Analysis and (ii) Horizon Year Travel Demand Analysis. The tasks included The following-
- Reconnaissance Survey of Study Corridor
- Carrying Out Primary Traffic Studies
- Mid-block Traffic study
- Intersection Traffic Study
- Origin-Destination Study
- Travel Behavior Study
- Travel Behavior Analysis
- Estimation of Non-Divertible Traffic
- Estimation of Potentially Divertible Traffic
- Scenario Development based on Toll and Traffic Management Systems
- Route Choice Analysis under Different Scenarios
- Estimated Traffic on At-Grade Segments
- Estimated Traffic on Elevated Segments
- Collection of Secondary data for deriving Traffic Growth factors
- Estimation of growth factor and developmental traffic